Tuesday, February 23, 2016

What Makes Superman Super?


What Makes Superman Super?

Superman has many amazing powers. He can fly. He has super strength. He is invulnerable to the kinds of things that hurt you and me. He can even see through walls. But what makes Superman super?
I have studied the writings, and I know the answer from the comics. Superman was originally from the planet Krypton, which orbited a red sun. When he came to Earth and its yellow sun, he acquired his astonishing abilities.
That answer is true, but it’s not the whole story. Recently, I realized what it is that really makes Superman super: no one else on Earth can do what he can do. In other words, it's not so much what Superman is able to do, but what he is able to do compared to the rest of us.
For example, what if Superman had arrived on the imaginary planet Super-Earth instead? Things might have been very different for him. On Super-Earth, everyone flies, has super strength and invulnerability, and is able to see through walls. On Super-Earth, Superman wouldn't be anybody special, just an ordinary guy, no different from anyone else. In fact, he might actually be inferior to some of the super-folks on Super-Earth.
And, if he had landed on the even more imaginary planet of Super-Duper-Earth, he’d be even worse off. On Super-Duper-Earth, people can super-duper-fly, and have super-duper strength and invulnerability and vision. Superman would be less than nothing on Super-Duper-Earth. Maybe, if he was lucky, he might get to be the sidekick of one of many Super-Duper-Men.
So, Superman is fortunate that he landed on just plain Earth, where what he can do is so far beyond what we can do. However, what’s even more interesting is the fact that any of us can develop super powers, just like Superman’s. We can do it in the same way Superman does, too.
For example, when I visit the nursing home where my mother lives, I acquire amazing powers. I can take a step forward almost three feet, without using a walker, a cane, or a wheelchair. I have the ability to lift suitcases and carry boxes. I am able to read small printing on a prescription bottle, and see things far across the room. I am Superman.
Sometimes, I volunteer at the local food pantry, and I obtain super powers there, also. I can lift a bag of groceries in each hand, and carry them to a client’s car. I possess the uncanny ability to read the expiration date on a donated can of soup, and decide whether it should go on the shelf or in the trash. I have those abilities, and, believe me, not everyone does. I am Superman.
When I help out in the church nursery, I gain truly astonishing powers. I can build a tower out of blocks, and it doesn’t fall down – until someone knocks it down. I am able to wipe a runny nose with a tissue. I can find a toy lost under a crib. I possess the ability to take goldfish crackers out of a box and put them in a bowl next to a sippy cup of juice. And I can change diapers. I am Superman.
You, too, may possess remarkable super powers, but you may not be aware of them. Make no mistake: there are things that you can do that not everyone can do. When you become aware of all that you can do, remember to use your powers only for good. Because everybody is somebody’s Superman.

No comments:

Post a Comment